You see, children, sometimes, when a man, woman, or non-binary loves words very, very much, they spend an inordinate amount of time trying to twist them into something, and eventually, if they’re very, very lucky, they might end up with a book! It’s a very special, magical time, and with the right care and nurturing from skilled editors, publicists, and designers, not to mention emotional support from CPs, friends, and a fabulous debut group…okay, I’ve kind of gotten lost in my own metaphor here but HEY I WROTE A BOOK AND IT’S OUT TODAY.
High school senior Ally Duncan’s best friend may be the Vanessa Park – star of TV’s hottest new teen drama – but Ally’s not interested in following in her BFF’s Hollywood footsteps. In fact, the only thing Ally’s ever really wanted is to go to Columbia and study abroad in Paris. But when her father’s mounting medical bills threaten to stop her dream in its tracks, Ally nabs a position as Van’s on-set assistant to get the cash she needs.
Spending the extra time with Van turns out to be fun, and getting to know her sexy co-star Liam is an added bonus. But when the actors’ publicist arranges for Van and Liam to “date” for the tabloids just after he and Ally share their first kiss, Ally will have to decide exactly what role she’s capable of playing in their world of make believe. If she can’t play by Hollywood’s rules, she may lose her best friend, her dream future, and her first shot at love.
ind the Scenes is sweet, sexy, and satisfying. Once you start reading, you won’t want to stop!”Trish Doller, author of Where the Stars Still Shine
“Behind the Scenes keeps the promise of its title, ushering readers backstage in a Hollywood romance they won’t want to leave. I loved this book every bit as much as I expected.”
~Jennifer Echols, author of Biggest Flirts and Dirty Little Secret
Of course, what kind of wordplayer would I be if I didn’t share some “behind the scenes” info about the book? And so…
Five Fun Facts Behind the Scenes of Behind the Scenes
1. It’s the only book I’ve set in a real city having already been to that city (though Ally’s neighborhood is fictional)
2. No scenes were cut entirely during the process. However, many new scenes were added. At the end of the first draft, it was 67K. During revisions, I added 10K. During edits, I added 11K. So there’s been an entire novella’s worth added since my first betas read it!
3. French macarons were not mentioned in the book until the first round of edits. For anyone who knows me, that was clearly a grievous oversight.
4. French kissing was always in the book, though. A lot of it. Kissing scenes are by far my favorite scenes to write.
5. It will have a companion, Under the Lights, releasing on June 30, 2015. If you (have) read Behind the Scenes and want more Josh and/or Vanessa in your life, I think you’ll be pretty happy with it 🙂
If you want to pick up a copy of Behind the Scenes, I’ll probably love you forever 🙂
For a signed copy, please order from Books of Wonder. Otherwise, check out these fine retailers:
Thanks for celebrating my release day with me and for all your support of the fabulous OneFours!
|Dahlia Adler is an Assistant Editor of Mathematics by day, a Copy Editor by night, and writes contemporary YA and blogs at the Daily Dahlia and YA Misfits at every spare moment in between. She lives in NYC with her husband and their overflowing bookshelves. Her debut novel, BEHIND THE SCENES, releases from Spencer Hill Contemporary on June 24, 2014.|