We have a lot of fantastic authors at OneFour KidLit and are excited to introduce them all to you. Today, we’re talking to Michelle Krys, author of Hexed. One author, four questions. Here we go!
Hey, you’re getting published! How’d that happen?
I’m still trying to figure that out!
I guess the story goes back to this one time I was in the bathtub (Bear with me, I’m going somewhere with this). So there I was in the bathtub, having at bath. I was 25 years old and 4 months into a year of maternity leave. My older sister called me while I was in said bath and very nervously-yet-excitedly told me that she’d decided to write a book. I was all “GET OUT! I’ve always wanted to write a book!” That’s an exact quote. She read me her first chapter and it was great. Inspired—and with a whole lot of free time on my hands as my son slept 12 hours at night and napped 3 hours in the day—I got to writing my first book. For your information, it sucked and took the rest of my 8 months of maternity leave to complete, but I learned a lot and had so much fun doing it. I’d found my passion.
HEXED was my second novel, and while I’d dreamed I’d get full requests, no one was more shocked than me when that actually happened—and I about dropped dead when my agent, Adriann Ranta, emailed to arrange The Call. It all happened fairly quickly after that. We went on submission, and a month later HEXED was acquired by Wendy Loggia at Delacorte Press/Random House Children’s Books. So I guess the short answer is: via the slush pile.
What’s your debut book about? Can you share any cool details with us?
Hexed is about a popular cheerleader named Indigo Blackwood, whose perfect life is threatened when a tattooed stranger tells her that the family Bible just stolen from the attic of her mother’s occult shop could mean the end to all witches, including Indigo herself.
Interesting factoids about Hexed:
- There’s kissing and romantical stuff in the book. Also magic.
- The love interest is somewhat inspired by freestyle motocross rider Kyle Loza–Google him. You won’t be sorry.
- It’s set in Los Angeles, and I went there for research.
- This one could just be a rumor, but I’ve heard that every time someone adds HEXED on Goodreads, a unicorn gets its horn and a fat baby smiles at you.
What are you most excited about in the debut process?
It seems like there’s something new and awesome to be excited about every day, but I think what I’m most excited about is seeing the cover, holding the physical book in my hands for the first time, and walking into a bookstore and seeing HEXED on the shelves. I plan on happy dancing on those occasions . . . but will probably just cry.
What cool facts might readers not know about you?
- I’m an identical twin, and my sister Brandy Allard is also a YA writer.
- I also work as a nurse in a neonatal intensive care unit
- I got married in Africa! Tanzania, to be more specific.
- I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario—the town where Anna Dressed in Blood is set.
- I have an ungodly love of salsa and queso cheese sauce, and probably drink more coffee than any human should.
|Michelle Krys lives with her husband and son in Northwestern Ontario. She loves bad reality television, celebrity gossip, dance music, and nachos, and is not ashamed of any of it (though she probably should be). Her debut novel HEXED is forthcoming from Delacorte Press/Random House Children’s Books in Spring 2014. She thinks it would be swell if you followed her on Twitter.|